Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Little History... well, not SO little... Part 7

Ok. So I have ruined my metabolism, and my hard work of losing all the weight, by blindly taking a weight loss pill from Dr. J. My fault. But I tell you one thing, I will NEVER take a new medicine like that again, without researching the heck out of it. We are very lucky these days to have the internet. What amazing amounts of information out there for all of us to read to make sure what we take, is right for us BEFORE we take it! Gosh this is so very important.

I let everything settle down, and did not go back to any doctor concerning my thyroid again for some time. In the mean time, I did go to my gyno (sorry lol) and had myself tested for every std under the sun. All negative! Yippee!

In October 2009, I went to a new doctor. Dr. M I finally decided I have to get things straightened out, because now, not only can I lose, but I am GAINING! ARGH! I mean it isn't like I am sitting around eating bon bons all day! My first visit with Dr. M was basically informational, and he had me go get some labs done to check my T3/T4 levels. He went through the whole process of drawing out my thyroid and explaining what T3 ad T4's do and just how my thyroid works. I told him of my weight concern, and he told me that right now where I stand, my body is probably needing some T3, in order to ALLOW myself to lose weight.

The following week, I went and had my labs done, after fasting for 10-12 hours. When I went back in a few weeks later, Dr. M told me that he would recommend that I go on Liothyronine (T3) to allow my body to lose weight. He said my numbers were very high (2.76 when the normal should be around .02) and so along with the T3, he will most likely lower my synthroid, but he wanted this to settle in first, and then I would come back for more labs and see where we stood then. I researched the heck out of this medicine and it is sooo controversial... I really had to think long and hard about this one, but when he explained what it did and how it would help, I gave in and said OK. So I went home and started taking the Liothyronine in addition to the Synthroid.

to be continued (the plot thickens)...


No comments:

Post a Comment